[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: First Virtual

>From: peter honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>
>To: cypherpunks@toad.com
>Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 11:08:26 -0400
>Subject: Re: First Virtual
>Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
>
>> Does anybody know anything about a new company named "First Virtual"? I
>>  know they got NSB from BellCore and a couple of other researchers.
>
>nsb will be giving an invited talk at the winter '95 usenix conference in new
>orleans.
>
>Speaker: Nathanial Borenstein
>Affiliation: First Virtual
>Abstract: Traditional approaches to introducing commerce to the Internet focus
>on using the Internet to facilitate the sale of goods and services.  However,
>these approaches require either encryption or a closed system in order to
>safeguard payment.  By restricting our focus to information commerce --
>transactions not involving physical goods or service -- we can radically
>simplify the underlying commerce model, with extremely important consequences
>for the usability and democracy of the Internet's payment infrastructure.
>
>http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/honey/usenix.htm has general info on the winter
>'95 usenix conference.
>
>        peter

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923